Monday 14 May 2012

Breaking the Block, Idea two.

You're staring miserably at a blank screen, wishing you could scrunch up the page in frustration and throw it in the bin. However, these days most of us don't use paper to write on, so throwing your computer/laptop/iPad in the bin is costly, and you'd probably be throwing out all the good work you have completed which is saved on the hard drive...

Here's a few thoughts that have helped me in the past to overcome the blank screen, and may save you chucking your computer around the room!

Over the years I've discovered that I communicate and learn best visually. So I remember, and enjoy, stories better if I see it or if I can vividly visualise the story I am reading. When I'm talking to someone about a story, or even telling them about my day, I use visual words and phrases such as ’I saw’ or ’it looked like this’.

Now, here’s something to consider to help open those writerly-mind-canals. How do you take things in? And how do you best communicate? I've read a few books and saw some websites on how we can communicate and learn (from NLP books to management courses). Here's the supposed three main ways: Visually, auditory and kinaesthetically.

Visually is seeing and reading, auditory is listening and speaking, and kinaesthetically is touching and doing. Ok, I'm being very basic here trying to get my point across, but you can easily find articles and books on this if you want to find out more. Here’s a link to a website that goes into more detail, and has some form of test which may or may not help you discover your dominante way to communicate: Buisnessballs

So, when I'm getting frustrated with myself over writing, or while trying to plot a story or overcome a block, I do something that inspires me or opens doors in my mind. However, I keep in mind that my preferred way to communicate is visually. I read a story, look at art or watch a film I love. Also I listen to music that conjures up images from my favourite films or stories (soundtrack music is great for this) and relax my mind, opening it to those inspiring scenes, thus energising my ideas.

I do this while holding my notebook (crazy, I know, using this ’paper’ thingy!!! But I can rip it...), and start jotting down notes when the thought-river flows. Or I have my laptop or iPad near me and start writing when inspiration strikes.

Either you'll have an idea of your preferred way to take things in, or with some research you can find out. Use this information to help create ideas for your writing or inspire you to write. It's almost a form of self manipulation - but in knowing yourself, and how you best think, you can overcome the blockages to your creativity and maybe even push your aspirations forwards.

Mainly though, you'll be writing again. And your page, whether it be a computer screen or a bit of paper, will be filling up with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment