Tuesday 22 May 2012

Recent Reading - May 2012

There's a growing number of stories out there that I’m wanting to read right now, and that’s on top of the already large ’Reading Pile’, nay, let's call it the ’Reading Library’- as this is what it's becoming. Last year I blogged about my reading affliction (basically I tend to read lots of stories at once, a few chapters at a time, buy books/ebooks every week and then jump between stories, leaving novels unfinished or unread), and I have to say it’s still here. But now it's not just hiding in my browser’s History folder like a dodgy website, it's out all over the page, infecting everything.

Worry not, however, as there is hope. I have finished reading some stories! Our plucky reading-hero has managed to untangle himself from the piles of unread books and figure out how to turn the pages on his Kindle (the forward/back mix-up a thing of the past).

So here's a little look at what I've been reading this month and what I've thought...

Stephen King's ON WRITING.

I've finally managed to read this, and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Written in a semi-autobiographical and engaging way, it made me laugh, smile and get ever-so-slightly teary, and I discovered how to highlight and make notes on my kindle app on the iPad!! (I know, am-a-zing!). A thought-provoking book on the life of a writer, with some fantastic writing tips.

5 out of 5 stars of writing.

THE EMPERORS GIFT by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

ADB has really captured the character of a Space Marine in this Grey Knights 40k novel. Again, vivid descriptions and characters, with great set pieces. This is a character driven novel, which in doing so seems to enrich the 40k background - very like Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn in that respect - rather than just pay lip service to it. Well worth a look for SF fans everywhere!

Four out of five silver-armoured heroes.

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins.

Yep, I went there. This kind of dystopian future story has been done before, but I did like the POV and the structure of the story does get you reading more. Thought the writer thinned out the last act (thought it was a bit wishy-washy). There is a plucky heroine, and shes deadly with a bow. ’nough said.

Two out of five dystopian love stories.

SCARECROW AND THE ARMY OF THIEVES by Matthew Reilly.

Another full-on-action-packed-explosive-thrill-ride! With lots of exclamation marks! Exciting! Fun! Guns! Little robots! Was a great holiday read, great set pieces and escapes (reality was strrreeeechhhed ever-so-slightly), and a decent baddie this time too. But those exclamation marks! Grr!

Three out of five action-adventure-exclaimation-marks!

Next month I have stories lined up to read from Chuck Wendig, Graham McNeill, William King and David Mitchell. Severally doubt I'll read them all as I'm sure I'll find other shiny new things to capture my reading time. Let's see if I can even get one of them into June read list!

I'm always looking for a good read, so drop a comment on what you think is worth a read. See, looking for other Shinies already...


- Posted using BlogPress, while stuck at a train station waiting for a train, from my iPad. In a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment